Getting our diet to be as healthy as possible is a less arduous task than you might believe. There are foods that, despite their simplicity and their diminutive appearance, have excellent nutritional properties that make them essential elements in our diet. One of these foods is birdseed.
Although it is true that for a time birdseed was relegated to the background due to the use and commercialization of cereals better known by the general public, little by little it has managed to open a gap in the market and in the shopping basket of those who want to lead a healthy and 100% natural lifestyle. One of the simplest and most delicious ways to consume birdseed is to convert its seeds into milk, so if you want to know more about this nutritious food, don’t miss the following article, where we tell you everything you need to know about milk from birdseed: properties, benefits and how to make it .
Properties and benefits of canary seed milk
Canary seed milk has a series of properties that provide benefits in the field of health as well as in beauty and personal care. Among the most important we can find the following:
- If you are thinking of making a weight loss diet, this food may be the ideal complement, since its enzymes activate the digestive system, promoting optimal digestion and weight loss. In addition, it favors the dissolution and elimination of body fat dressings, becoming the perfect ally in the fight against cellulite.
- Thanks to its enzymes, canary seed milk also acts as a barrier against free radicals, helping to delay aging.
- If you suffer from hypertension, birdseed milk will help you regulate your blood pressure.
- Due to its high content of omega 3 and 9, it will also help you regulate bad cholesterol levels in the blood.
- If you suffer from diabetes, it will help you regulate your blood sugar level.
- Canary seed milk contains a quantity of vegetable proteins and minerals as well as vitamins (vitamin E and vitamin B) that are highly beneficial for our body. There are many studies that consider that this food could even help prevent certain serious diseases such as skin cancer or prostate cancer, although, for the moment, this has not been scientifically proven.
- In addition to vitamins, canary seed milk is highly diuretic and has anti-inflammatory qualities, making it ideal to combat circulation problems and fluid retention, helping our body eliminate toxins and prevent urinary tract infections.
Important things to note about canary seed milk
As you can see, canary seed milk is a food with multiple properties and interesting benefits for your health and well-being. However, if you are thinking of making birdseed milk a fundamental ingredient in your diet, we recommend that you do so taking into account the following recommendations:
- If you are allergic or intolerant to any type of food or other cereals, you must make sure that you can drink birdseed milk without problems, carrying out the relevant tests.
- Due to its diuretic properties, you should consume it in moderation to avoid an excessive loss of minerals.
- At no time can birdseed milk be considered a substitute for a complete meal, it should only be a nutritional supplement that balances and complements your diet.
- Nor should you consider it a medicine in itself or the only treatment for a health problem.
- When buying birdseed seeds, always read the product label carefully and make sure it is completely free of silica fibers (highly harmful to our body). We recommend that you consume organic seeds and that you buy them in approved establishments.
- Canary seed milk, due to its diuretic properties, is not suitable for children.
When in doubt when introducing birdseed milk into your diet, we advise you to always consult with your family doctor.
How to make canary seed milk
And now, let’s get to work. With the recipe that we are going to provide you, you will see that it is very easy to make canary seed milk. As we have already said, it is important to buy reliable seeds that do not contain silica fibers, so once you have them, you will only need water, a blender and a strainer (if it can be made of fabric).
- The first thing is to put the birdseed to soak for 8 hours. It is best to leave them in water overnight and proceed to make the milk the next day. Thus, we will achieve that the birdseed seeds release all their properties. We recommend that you start by soaking 6 tablespoons of birdseed. When you have more practice, you can put 12 or more depending on the amount of birdseed milk you want to make.
- Once the necessary time has elapsed, you must drain the seeds and add them to the blender along with water. The amount of water to add will depend on your preferences: if you prefer a liquid drink, you can add more water but, if you prefer a drink with a creamy consistency, you will have to add less. This part is just a matter of taste and practice. The trick is to add water little by little and mix it in the blender until the desired texture and flavor is achieved.
- Once the desired texture is achieved, you will only have to strain the milk (if you do not have a cloth strainer you can also use a fine cotton cloth or gauze to trap the seed shells and other impurities). Your delicious canary seed milk will be ready to drink!