Do you want to learn how to make a healthy and surprising snack? At OneHowTo.com we propose a quick and simple recipe to delight the most demanding palates. In the following article we give you the instructions so that you learn how to make apple chips. Sign up for this delicious recipe and swap the calories and fat in the French fries for delicious and healthy crunchy apples. Take note!
- 125 gr. of sugar
- 125 gr. of water
- 1 or 2 lemons squeezed
- Cinnamon, ginger, vanilla or other species to taste (optional)
Steps to follow to make this recipe:
1. Before you start working with the apples, preheat the oven to approximately 100ºC. To make the chips we will need the heat of the oven, so we will avoid frying the apple and we will make a low calorie appetizer.
2. Next, peel and wash the apple, in this way you will prepare it for cutting. Use a sharp knife or mandolin to chop the apple. To make it very crispy, you must make very thin slices (about 2 millimeters thick, approximately).
3. In a separate bowl squeeze a lemon and reduce the acid of the juice with a jet of water. When you have the apple slices cut, soak them for a few seconds in the juice. They must be soaked whole.
4. Next, prepare a mixture of water and sugar in a pot. If you want to give the apple a different touch, we advise you to add some species or herbs. A touch of cinnamon or vanilla sticks will give much more flavor to the apple. For the daring, you can try a pinch of paprika.
5. Next, place the saucepan over medium heat and when you notice that the water and sugar mixture begins to boil, add the apple slices. Leave them in the water until it boils again. At that time remove them. Take them out carefully and drain.
6. Once the apples are drained, place them on the baking sheet. To avoid sticking, cover the tray with parchment paper.
7. Put the tray in the oven, preheated to 100ºC, and bake the apples for a couple of hours. When the first hour of baking has passed, turn the apple slices over, so that they become crisp on both sides. Attention: if you bake more than one tray at the same time, remember to vary their position. Otherwise, one tray may be more than another.
8. After two hours of cooking, remove the trays from the oven. First, the apple slices will not be crisp but will have a papery feel. To get the chips, you will need to let them cool for a few minutes.